There are many different child custody arrangements. For example, joint physical custody allows the child to spend at least 70% of the time with one parent and the remaining 30% with the other. This arrangement can work well for a parent who lives close to the child, but may not be appropriate if the parents are far apart. Likewise, shared custody arrangements can be disruptive for the child, so a 50/50 split may be the best option if the parents can get along.
The most common child custody arrangement is joint physical and legal custody, or joint legal custody. Joint physical custody allows the child to live with both parents, but does not necessarily mean 50/50. The minimum in your state is often 35 or 40 percent. However, the child can also spend part of the weekend with the noncustodial parent. Joint legal custody allows both parents to make important decisions, but the noncustodial parent has visitation time with the child every other weekend.
A third type of child custody arrangement is shared physical and legal custody. While this is still relatively new in child custody, it allows both parents to make important decisions about the child. This arrangement is often more beneficial for parents with young children than for those with older children who have a lot of activities. But it can leave younger children feeling unsettled. However, this arrangement can also work for parents who have a busy schedule and want to be around their children on weekends or during holidays.
Shared physical and legal custody arrangements include the noncustodial parent living with the child during their custodial time. In this type of arrangement, both parents have visitation rights and share the outside space. However, joint legal custody arrangements can also be a good option if one parent is working outside of the home to care for the children. So, if you’re looking for a custody arrangement, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced family law attorney. The most common child custody arrangement involves the mother and father living in the home with the children for a while.
Another option is an alternate week custody schedule. This option allows children to visit their other parent as much as possible. Parents will alternate the kids with each other every week for two days and three days. Parent A will have custody for two days and the child will spend time with Parent B on the other side for two days. This arrangement is also known as “bird’s nest custody.”
Joint physical custody arrangements typically involve both parents spending some time with the children. For young children, experts recommend frequent contact with both parents. For example, the noncustodial parent will spend some weekends with the child and then spend the rest of the time with the other parent. This type of joint physical custody arrangement is also common for non-primary custodial parents. For younger children, they may not be able to tolerate waiting a week to see their primary parent.
Joint legal custody is similar to joint physical custody, but gives only one parent primary responsibility for the child. This arrangement allows one parent to make major decisions for the child, while allowing the other parent to have significant visitation rights. It may be the best option if one parent is absent or the child lives far from the non-custodial parent. This type of custody isn’t often used in New Jersey.
This type of schedule works well for parents who want to spend the weekend with their child. Parents who are able to split time with their child will typically prefer the 5-2-2-5 schedule. This schedule requires each parent to have the child for two days in a row. Then, weekend custody will alternate back and forth every other week. As long as the parent and child are both happy with the arrangement, the child will be able to spend the weekend with the parent who is primarily responsible for the child’s upbringing.
A majority of cases involving child custody will be settled through mediation. If parents cannot agree on the custody arrangement, the court will make a decision on the child’s best interests. In some cases, one parent may attempt to exclude the other parent from making decisions that affect the child. Alternatively, a parent can petition the family court to make the custody agreement enforceable. However, this option is often expensive and has detrimental effects on the child’s relationship. As with any legal situation, the best way to resolve a custody issue is to have both parents agree on the custody agreement and work towards it.